Quallifying

Past LFSNZ Series Results and Details
thorns
PRO

Quallifying

Postby thorns » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Was originally going to post in the FBM thread, but it gets a bit off topic........

Hey,

Been a slow day at work so had some time to think and wanted to raise a point to discuss.

With the qualifying the way it is, what is the incentive for someone to post a fast lap if they know its not going to be fast enough to take pole? The way it is, if I know I'm not going to be fast enough to get pole and take a point, I may as well sandbag and go for a slow time to start at the front of the grid. I think a reverse grid is great for the second race in a two race sprint series like we have in the final two rounds. First race should be qualifying order, and second reverse grid of first race result.

Alternatively, if we keep the way we are running now, perhaps have a few rules to help prevent people driving slow to get a good position. These are just suggestions:

1. Perhaps award more points for qually. Could perhaps have something like the top 3 get x amount, next 3 x amount and so on, so there is an incentive for people to push hard in qually and try nab a few extra points.

2. For the longer races, run the standard grid as dictated by qualifying, but for multiple race nights, first race decided by qually and second race reverse grid of first race result.

3. Have a rule that you cant run a lap "x" seconds faster than your qually time to prevent people running slow in qually, then sprinting away in the race itself 2 seconds a lap faster than there qually time. This one is a bit tricky as I know there are some people who jump on with not alot of practice and get faster as the race goes on.

As I say these are just suggestion open for discussion on the qually format. We should keep what we have planned for this series as it has already started, but something could be implemented for future series.

Hopefully these ideas come across as I have them in my head, I'm generally pretty shit at putting ideas across on paper.
ImageImageImageImage
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Re: Quallifying

Postby Swivel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:21 pm

Well, I see your point, and hope people don't go slow to get the pole (as thats mine and KK's). But as a std, if your slower than me, your doing it deliberately (as i'm usless in this car).

But if there is a suspicion that someone did, we could use the LFSWorld site to check what your best is/should be around.

I would be against points for any position other than Pole.

Now, Bring on the XFG
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken
goop
Rookie
LFS License: S2
LFS User: goop

Postby goop » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Totally agree thornz. TBH, I thought they were taking the piss when they said the Blackwood race was reverse grid :shock: :lol:

I think the best way to do it is - like thornz says - for the first race to be in qual order, and the second race reverse qual order. For single races, just race in qualification order.
4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: 4aged

Postby 4aged » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:54 am

yea i agree mostly too, i think its still fun in this event but rev grid is best suited to a multirace or sprint format.

some of those suggestions are good but some add too much complexity and we usualy like to keep things fairly simple with points / rules ect... the top 3 points idea is good. could do top 5 get points like:
1st 5
2nd 4
3rd 3
and so on....
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
mik641
PRO
LFS User: mik641
Combat Arms Name: Mik641

Postby mik641 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:12 am

or lowest points wins

1st is 1
2nd is 2
5th is 5 etc
Image ImageImage
KWAK
Dedicated Driver
LFS User: [LFSNZ] Kwak
Combat Arms Name: KWAKNZ

Postby KWAK » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 am

mik641 wrote:or lowest points wins

1st is 1
2nd is 2
5th is 5 etc
Nah cant work, as if you do get pole you get what? points? so then your punished!

PLEASE NOTE: I HAVE SCRAPPED REV GRID FOR THIS SERIES NOW! WE CAN'T GET IT TO WORK ANYWAYS!
mik641
PRO
LFS User: mik641
Combat Arms Name: Mik641

Postby mik641 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 am

no you get none, the idea is that the better you do, less point you get, lowest points wins
Image ImageImage
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Postby Swivel » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 am

The Idea of getting pole isn't about points, It's about being at the front with clean air (and a whole bunch just waiting to crash into your butt).

But in this series it doesn't matter (as reverse grid), So to give an incentive to not go slow would have to be good points.

But thats really only 4-5 that can go for it, the rest wouldn't have a show.
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken
Krayy
Advanced

Postby Krayy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 am

I think that this is ppart of a llarger discussion that needs to take place regarding points systems as a whole. We get a fluctuating number of racers for each event, so we need to make it worth peoples while to race regularly. This being the case, I'd like to put forward a suggestion that we look at using the V8 Supercars method of points for the next series as sen here: http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/a ... es_points/

It has a graduated points system for P1 to P30, and has different points for sprint, regular or enduro. The catch here is that someone who is consistent has a good chance at being up in the points if a leader misses an enduro or other high points race. More importantly, everyone will be getting points eac race, and give them a goal to head towards. It also allows for a variety of formats for each night.
I'm a Logitech G-Man!! G15, G25, G35, G500...

Image ImageImageImageImage
thorns
PRO

Postby thorns » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 am

Krayy wrote:I think that this is ppart of a llarger discussion that needs to take place regarding points systems as a whole. We get a fluctuating number of racers for each event, so we need to make it worth peoples while to race regularly. This being the case, I'd like to put forward a suggestion that we look at using the V8 Supercars method of points for the next series as sen here: http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/a ... es_points/

It has a graduated points system for P1 to P30, and has different points for sprint, regular or enduro. The catch here is that someone who is consistent has a good chance at being up in the points if a leader misses an enduro or other high points race. More importantly, everyone will be getting points eac race, and give them a goal to head towards. It also allows for a variety of formats for each night.
I quite like that idea Krayy,
Defintly somethig as you say worth discussing. I dont think a sprint race should be worth the same as a enduro, ie last night was effectively a double ponts round because both races were full points. I like the layout of that v8 table where the longer races have a higher points weighting compared to the sprint races.

Wether with that idea we are making thing a bit complicated I guess is for others to decide, but its worth airing it for everyone to voice an opinion on.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “[LFSNZ]Series Archive”