LFS vs RFACTOR

General discussions about the game, Live For Speed.
KR0NIK
Advanced

LFS vs RFACTOR

Postby KR0NIK » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:41 pm

hey
seen ya all talking in ya code language about r factor
and anyone on heres opinions when it comes to driving sims would mean they know what there
talking about

so
knowing that im very tech retarded when it comes to adding mods etc
will i spend my time pulling my hair out fucking around with files etc
and will it actually be worth it

my r factor experence consists of 1/2 lap in some car in the demo that came with my g25
felt horrible car didnt feel right and i switched straight back to lfs
im aware of the extent of mods and different cars/tracks do these share the same phisics?are some standouts?
does r factor feel so different to the point that i will have to learn to drive all over again?
is it harder on cpu usage my frame rates are pretty poo already
graphix look worse than lfs ??
have seen tripple head r factor but this will also take me yonks to sort out as well
lots of cars and tracks really appeal to me ...but if they are unrealistic and i have to battle their ideas
of physics and are constantly out out shon by lfs...will be a let down

i guess i just want some opinions from thouse in the know :)

and maybe some computer tuition lol
ImageImageImage
Krayy
Advanced
LFS License: S2

Re: LFS vs RFACTOR

Postby Krayy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:07 am

I found rFactor a lot harder to set up than LFS. For a start, the controller setup is a bit counter-intuitive, in that the Logitech wheels need the forces reveresed to work correctly, otherwise you'll by skating all over the place. I think there was a G25 specific Wheel type in the "Control" setup screens that would make sure the "Reverse force effects" button was highlighted. This still doesn't help that the default cars handling characteristics are way off.

Add on cars help this a bit, and I suppose this is why people go for rFactor...the add ons. Some car sets are better than others, and there are a lot of mod ranking sites that are worth a look. From memory, the Renault Clio and F1 1979 are very good. Check rfactorcentral for other mods.

Speaking of which, there is a mod that a lot of people swear by which is tyre physics update mod. Apparently this transforms the whole game into a better experience. I've never had a look, but a few thousand noobs can't be wrong...can they?

Personally, I'm going to wait for rfactor 2 to see if it addresses any of the shortcomings (even though mods take care of that). That being said, if LFS opens up to the modding community for tracks, then I wouldn't bother with rFactor at all other than as a casual playground.
I'm a Logitech G-Man!! G15, G25, G35, G500...

Image ImageImageImageImage
4aged
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: 4aged

Postby 4aged » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:23 am

you do need to play around with rfactor more than LFS, i might post some screenies up later on of how to download and install mods, i think alot of them come with readme files that tell ya what to do. not that heard anyway, if you come on mumble tonight we might be able to help ya through it :)

check out rfactorcentral and see if there any guides anyway. (i had a look couldnt find any :()

the full verson of rfactor is pretty easy to get from demo as well ;) i cant remember off hand now but others have done it
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Postby Swivel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Well LFS has a more REAL feel to it, rFactor has more mods and thats the fun, Stockcars (NZ Style) have a real feel But you can also have alot more fun as the restrictions arn't there like LFS. Downloads from my ftp for what I run
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken
KR0NIK
Advanced

Postby KR0NIK » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm

cheers lots of very good points
so if r factor felt right it ..it would be a winner
but to do that they would probally have to start again
like i racing has from nascar i guess
is r factor 2 progressing like s3 and could be FUCKING AGES AWAY :)
haha

real feeling with dirt......i dont really like like lfs dirt simulation
but cant actually say ive tryed a real good dirt sim out with ffb
raced mx for 10 years and killed numerous demo derby cars in my time.....so have a little idea of feeling of dirt
any one tryed richard burns rally?? has good reviews from sim commuity for such a old game
dirt2 still feels like dirt1 which still feels like colinmcrae which still feels like a game that first came out on
fucking playstation !!!
same can also be said for grid

i racing here i come.............just for a few months lol
ImageImageImage
thorns
PRO

Postby thorns » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Pretty much you summed it up re rfactor. If they could cross lfs physics/feel, with rfactors modding ability, it would be the absolute bee knees! But as it is now, I can only drive it for a little bit every now and then before getting frustrated with it.

Let us know if you sign up for iracing, am considering a renewal as well.
ImageImageImageImage
mik641
PRO
LFS User: mik641
Combat Arms Name: Mik641

Postby mik641 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:43 pm

ive recently got into rFactor, i have the nzv8 mod, aussie v8 mod, aussie 1969 bathurst legends(ohhh yes 350 chev), stadium trucks, and stockcars.

rfactor is good for the modifying ability but the dicking round with files etc can get frustrating if the download doesnt provide an installer( i usually ask swivel when im stuck) physics arent as crisp and the car feels a bit like driving a plastic car.

graphics arent as good as lfs but if you have a good card and whack the settings up its comparible somewhat.
Image ImageImage
TWISTA
Noob

Postby TWISTA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:14 pm

i find rfactor so confsuing, and i havent even downloaded it yet. i tryed my mates demo out, and t sucked.

i realy wish i could find out how to download it so i can try it properly :oops: :oops: :oops:
Swivel
Site Admin
LFS License: S3
LFS User: Swivel
Combat Arms Name: Swivel

Postby Swivel » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 pm

Hello, Well since it sucked, I guess you don't want to download over a gig file then.
ImageImage
I thought I was wrong once, But I was Mistaken

Return to “General”