BATTLEFIELD 3: DUE 25/10/2011

Krayy
Advanced
LFS License: S2

Re: BATTLEFIELD 3: DUE 25/10/2011

Postby Krayy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:25 am

Well I was playng the Beta for more than a few hours on the weekend and the Rush map they have chosen (Paris Metro) makes it play like a pretty version of Combat Arms. No vehicles (no point playing engineer), just a fairly narrrow corridor with objectives that move as you drive the defending team back. You start out with a bare weapon and need to gain X number of kills to access upgrades like a scope, tactical light, laser etc.

So you pretty much spend the first hour getting sniped and outgunned until you get some upgrades. Or take the weapons from your buddies cold dead hands instead of reviving them. It's mindless stuff as nobody was using a mic so it was a heap of armies of one going at it. I decided to take a support role and defend a spawn point and pack it full of medic kits and use my paddles to revive others.

I think I need to wait for the reviews, as I'm not sure I'd have the time to go into a game where you need a 15-20 hour grind to get Tier 1 gear.

UPDATE: Bugger it, I'm buying it!!!! (So will Thursday night be some short races followed by 2 hours of shooting?)
I'm a Logitech G-Man!! G15, G25, G35, G500...

Image ImageImageImageImage
Krayy
Advanced

Postby Krayy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:35 am

mik641 wrote:Guys, where is the best place to get a good price for bf3?
Download Physical Warfare Pack: $89.99 http://store.origin.com/store/eaapac/en ... field3_NZ/
Boxed Limited Edition: $88 http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/PC-G ... /10184075/
Boxed Physical Warfare pack: $98 which gives you the extra guns here; http://ebgames.co.nz/pc-153116-Battlefi ... re-Pack-PC)

Not sure if the extra guns makes the downlaod only version better, but then when would you use the physical disk/manual after install?

I'll probably go for the Download option. saves $$ on delivery and get it Day 1

Steala
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: LifeSteala

Postby Steala » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:12 pm

So I gave open beta a go and like Krayy says - yes it takes ages until you get your first kill. I actually find BF3 very hard to play. You have to ZOOM to shoot people and you have to hold down the Right mouse button to keep your ZOOM on. WTF? That just isn't accessible for a disabled person! I got my first kill from close combat rather than it coming from a far.

I however thought the graphics was very nice. Far more realistic which I like. Maybe the graphics is too much because I actually couldn't see any enemies. They were hard to find. Before you find one, you die, well that's what happened in my case anyway.

I think I'll have to spend time on this game just to re-learn the game play and to retrain my brain to hold the right click button for when I need to zoom in. Will have to sacrifice my KDR (which I manage to bring up in BC2) like I did with BC2.

Maybe it would be easier if those who are interested were on Mumble at same time, maybe!
Image Image Image
ATOMIC Web Hosting - Quality shared and reseller website hosting. WHM/cPanel
kumarakid
Dedicated Driver
LFS User: Kumarakid

Postby kumarakid » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 am

Cheers for the heads up Steelz. Actually I did get into trying to sort out the beta version too but got bogged down at registration bullshit process and the origin crap that I gave up. Hopefully the bugs are ironed out before release dude and I'm sure you'll be able to option the zoom toggle somewhere or you will need a foot activated button or two, (Have discussed this before with ya....trademe I think?)
Anyway 22 more sleeps till release.

BC2 action tonight bro ;)
Krayy
Advanced

Postby Krayy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 am

Unfortunatley you will need to battle with Origin on release as well. All installs will need Origin accounts to activate and it needs to be running while the game is as well.

THEN when you click on BF3 in Origin, it loads a browser that directs to Battlelog that needs the Battlelog ActiveX control installed as well as flash enabled for the battlelog.com domain. You then use the browser to fart about and look at your stats and find a server (set a filter to serevrs starting with NZ in Oceania). Pain in the butt.

As to the graphics, what Steala is alluding to is that there is tons of environmental animations like leaves blowing about, bushes blowing in the wind etc to maks the movements of the enemy (just like a console game!). That being said the wind that blows all the leaves about has no effect on your bullet trajectories (just like a console game!).

I will need to look at the options to see if there is a scope lock and tactic wise, it would be a lot easier with Mumble.

I'm not sure what to make of the new range of shooters. Maybe stick to BC2 until ARMA 3 cmes out will be a better bet?

Wildboy99
PRO
LFS User: |ARC| Liam

Postby Wildboy99 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:47 am

Finally gotten around to playing it and as expected im dissapointed. I died so many times just trying to change my settings. The flashlight has a nice effect though its much too bright i think. Seems very much to me like a cross between BC2 and MW2. Good to see it still has one thing in common with bf2, random crashes to the desktop lol. Also why the hell does the website show me the current 360 and ps3 servers i couldnt care less about them and in typical console fashion they have removed the ping display in game. I think i will wait until its like 10 bucks to buy just like i did with bc2 and ill stick with playing bf2 and the ocassional bc2 untill the new counter strike is out.

What kind of battle did you guys have with origin? i just downloaded it and logged straight in. the only issues i had with that was the download dying and asked me to start again luckily though it picked up were it left off also the severe lack of options in it was annoying too.
ImageImageImage
Racing is life, Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen
Steala
LFSNZ Addict
LFS User: LifeSteala

Postby Steala » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:12 pm

The battle I had with Origin was that Origin wasn't picking up the game. So I had to do a little playing around with it and it showed up. Then I had a problem with passwords, but fixed that too with some playing around.

Having a client like Origin just confuses everything but once it is all set it's all good to go.

Krayy - that tip with regards to the mouse zooming worked a treat. I was able to navigate around with a bit more control and concentrate on enemies! Still find it hard to get kills but I guess once I play more I'll get better. Can't wait to fly the choppers and jets!
Image Image Image
ATOMIC Web Hosting - Quality shared and reseller website hosting. WHM/cPanel
Krayy
Advanced

Postby Krayy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:50 am

I think we need to remember that this was a Beta version and there was a bunch of stuff on a chnagellog that they're fixing, although EA did state they were not going to patch the Beta at all. I think there will be a lot of balancing between things like scope relection, flashlight strength and if they put in a stamina bar, I'd be rapt. Bloody bunny hoppers.

Krayy
Advanced

Postby Krayy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:58 am

From MightyApe:

Hi Warren,

Good news! Order number 1475268.38 has been dispatched and is now on its way to you.

The following products have been shipped:

1 x Battlefield 3 Limited Edition (PC Games),

Woo-hoo!!!! Ready for some shooting tonight?

KWAK
Dedicated Driver
LFS User: [LFSNZ] Kwak
Combat Arms Name: KWAKNZ

Postby KWAK » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:12 pm

I was playing it at 6am yesterday! Lined up at EB games at 11:30pm on wednesday night! But Aussie servers had to cert that it was a legit copy, which didn't come online until 2am nzt, so went to bed. Havent found a server that doesnt have lagg issues yet, so sticking to single player.

Return to “Battlefield 3”